Links Hardware Requirements
Posted by Maddison Mitchell, Last modified by Maddison Mitchell on 17 October 2019 11:18 AM
Links Hardware Specification Requirements
Networked Workstation (Links only) or Hosted Workstation
Single User Standalone Systems (SQL Server + Links client)
Links can either be installed on a Windows OS device, or accessed via Remote Desktop on a non-Windows device.
Windows OS Device (Surface Pro)
Non-Windows Device (iPad, Galaxy Tab, Lenovo Tab)
* LinksWeb products such as ActiveCarrot cannot be installed on Windows Server 2003 (or lower) or Retail versions of Windows (7,8,10 etc). Also, .Net 4.6.1 cannot be installed on SBS 2011, therefore this OS cannot be used for the Links application or Gateway.
**Apple iOS or Android.
***There are multiple RDP clients available for the various Operating Systems. Microsoft RDP (for Microsoft OS) or CoRD RDP (for Apple iOS) have been tested with Links and are the preferred options.
Additional Considerations for Links
· Hard Disk
o Data transfer speed is important. The faster the drive used (HHD/SSD) the better the performance. This is especially important on a Database Server and/or PC utilising Virtual Machines.
· Network Stability
o As Links uses a network connection to your Server (if not using a Stand-alone system), the stability of your network is important.
Additional Requirements/Considerations for Active Carrot
· SQL Server
o SQL Server 2012 Standard/Enterprise minimum. Due to the change of resource use in SQL Server 2012 Express, this may be acceptable for a smaller load site, however SQL Server 2014 Standard/Enterprise or higher is recommended.
· Additional Load
o Depending on configuration and usage, Active Carrot can generate sustained and significantly more load than the client applications alone. The load generated can vary greatly based on overall database size and activity and the number of requests generated by Active Carrot clients. The additional load needs to be factored in to consideration of deployment environments, especially when the host hardware resources are shared by multiple virtual machines. Additional in-depth information can be found attached below.
o As is necessary with these solutions, the underlying environments will be exposed to the Internet and standard Internet security measures will need to be taken to mitigate risk and potential damage of an attack.
o The Links Web Service will communicate through a nominated Port. This can also be restricted to a specific IP range.
Additional Hardware Requirements/Considerations for Hosted Solutions
· Due to existing limitations of Microsoft Terminal Services, all hardware being used in a hosted environment (Terminal Services) require Serial (COM) Port connections. An onboard connection is preferred (a motherboard with existing COM ports or a Serial Interface card). USB to Serial adaptors are available (but not recommended).
· If wishing to utilise our EMV/RDPVC solutions for WebCams & PC-EFTPOS, Remote Desktop Client 8.1 is required. Furthermore, if using Windows 7, the Microsoft article KB2592687 (RDP 8.0 client and server components) update must be installed before installing the RDP 8.1 update.
Due to existing limitations of Microsoft Terminal Services, the majority of hardware being used in a hosted environment (Terminal Services) requires Serial (COM) Port connections. An onboard connection is preferred (a motherboard with existing COM ports or a Serial Interface card). USB to Serial adaptors are available (but not recommended). In the case of receipt printers, the use of the Epson Virtual port tool can be utilised as a conversion driver to virtualize the COM port for supported Epson USB receipt printers.
· Minimum Down/Up 5 Mbps with a Recommend Down/Up of 10 Mbps. However please note that this figure would vary depending on individual need.
· In all cases, a lower latency would be preferable over a higher bandwidth.
Additional Requirements/Considerations for ClassWeb
· IIS 6 or higher
o IIS is required to be installed and configured for access from the Internet.
· SSL Certificate
o SSL is required for ClassWeb in order to accept live credit card transactions and protect sensitive personal data in transit.
All hardware sold through Links will be supplied with the correct interface. If you are planning on using existing Point of Sale equipment, e.g. Receipt Printers, please complete the following table so we can verify they will work in conjunction with the Links software.
Please confirm that your site meets these hardware specification requirements and you will have computers ready for training. Please return this signed form to your Links Project Manager by the due date requested.